Skip to main content

the limitations of a fool for the page abound


pigeon headed bird pigeon headed bird
It’s as though an intemperate bird much reduced of purpose and motion by Mr. Charles Willson Peale were summoned here to gather dust. Then for want of an idle quotation some piece of very old something that has been gone from our recent moments that has been lost even to itself was again found and then bludgeoned into an unmatched stillness for our better comprehension - read aloud from this brass plaque
Disruption is my memoir and it starts with a simple idea, stop. I’ve spent a world's worth of minutes putting on all of those pants and opening all of those beers. I’ve filed away entire anemic days brushing and flossing and then taming or trimming all that could be found cornered and hassled. I’ve done all that’s necessary to enjoin my cult of the serendipitous self to a world of indiscreet others and their desperate hordes of poetry. I’ve done all of this because words follow words. I've done all of this not because I could but because I had to.
On Saturday February 3, 1996, I was in Sophie's' Busy Bee on Damen. I'd spent months reading the fiction of Kobo Abe when I started to transcribe his novel, Box Man. Many critics described this novel as a darkly comic metaphor of the camera. They neatly boxed it's corners in a modern Asian narrative that drives over a cliff into a fantastic schism of dereliction and societal contempt. But I related to it more viscerally. I didn't identify with the protagonist's isolation so much as with Author's keen sense design and decoration. The certainty with which Kobo Abe described the box and its interior. It made me wild with a desire to fashion curtains and hang makeshift colostomy bags from the interior of every room and every surface that I occupied as well.
So let me start with my becoming more purposeful. When I first began to jot down notes and observations like this, notes about the shows that I would see. Then later in the evening, when I was lit like a Christmas tree and stitching together these pieces into sprawling narratives that were read and recorded as live audio. The best of these tracks would be transcribed and edited into a mashed up role-playing opus that I called, Sister. In Sister there is no empire with a reach to match their television machines, Hello we can threaten your door, Bang Bang. 
BAH.
But a craft-person has their tools and a craft-person has their materials. These are what a craft-person needs inside a day. These are the resources necessary for a craft-person to build a world that saves it’s rules for it's wood and it's hammers alone.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Totem

Tonight is old. It's wett but current and bored. I'm watching nothing but stars in the often sky that happen... do... tonight is lame like old, young like song, even as blue... Equal after the sun, noon or scripted yellow you are to me... A we (as sound)

Songlet is Best

fig.0231) FizzGraf MT. "Magical, like a chorus of like minded souls in a froth of cotton fumes." Over fake doors, under refurbished ladders, gypsum board and bent yellow pipes offering us an unmade bed and a stained window. Our one chance at tomorrow.  Magnetic guts from at least a thousand cassettes are strewn across the room. Hee-Haw style, fancy dress shoes cling to the floor like it's '86 all over again. Hee-Haw, goes the sound. Hee-Haw, we're closer then we were. Hee-Haw, it's hilarious. Listening for trains, leaning out over the rails like two people with no time at all. Better maps, that's what we need. We could use a melody for singing with this chorus; in whose curious presence more patients wait to be found. With hands over our heads, someone passes by and asks, "gender?"  There's stars in this sweet tooth of mine and some atoms left from the sky, Tonight the whole angle of heaven sleeps without light. Ordering its coffee darkest, t

Limitless Tank of An Age

Fig.897.2) et Si The wreck and the doom of a vaudeville bloom Rose as rose can be, limited to fault and grief A blanket, an old mess in the lions tomb and across the room, the funniest joke that's ever been Getting wet to the knees or more Something like fear filling it's core like a rag being stuffed inside something pushed way too full There's a rattle and a rasped gasp lingering past then drowning's served, the gig's observed Law this fragile strake is seen On a frail face there's an old smile suggesting time and place