self portrait with J Mascis for Douglas Coupland

graphite on paper (2004)

At the time this drawing was completed I was sitting on a short red sofa in the Butchershop with the windows open. It was beer o'clock somewhere in Canada and I was thirsty. This simple pencil drawing is inside a commercially bound sketch book. Its subject is a self portrait of me standing behind J Mascis, who is in his favorite Alex Ross inspired Superman T-shirt and we're sharing our thoughts. Secretly I was hoping that in a distant alternate future long after I'd shuffled off from this mortal coil then this drawing would be found and it might be printed with a collection of Douglas Coupland's short stories. I feel ashamed for having dragged these artists into my morbid fantasy but, c'est la vie. 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts